The Central Cottage Industries Emporium was established in Delhi in the year 1952 under the management of Indian Cooperative Union and was later on taken over by Central Cottage Industries Association in 1964. The Central Cottage Industries Corporation of India Ltd was incorporated on 4.2.1976 as a wholly owned subsidiary of The Handicrafts and Handlooms Exports Corporation of India Ltd. (HHEC) With effect from 27.3.1991 CCIC ceased to be a subsidiary of HHEC of India Ltd and was brought under the administrative control of Ministry of Textiles, as an independent public sector undertaking.
The main objective of CCIC is to be a dealer, exporter, manufacturer and agent of quality Indian handicrafts and handlooms and to develop markets for these products in India and abroad. The Corporation has six-showrooms viz. at New Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore, Secunderabad, Chennai and a franchise outlet in Gurgaon.